Answers in Genesis?
- Part I – Introduction
- Part II – Biblical Infallibility
- Part III – Creationism (Young Earth)
- Part IV – Intelligent Design
- Part V – Philosophy and Morality
- Part VI – Religion
- Part VII – Science
- Part VIII – Evolution
- Part IX – Conclusion
The arguments surrounding Intelligent Design and Evolution are everywhere. Ben Stein’s documentary “Expelled” has certainly brought a lot more people looking for information on the debate.
While I’m no scientist, I do have the experience of having faith in Young Earth Creationism as a child, and as an adult understanding that Evolution (Modern Synthesis) bests fits the evidence.
These days I understand you can believe the religious philosophy of a Creator and still be a good evolutionary scientist. But for better or worse this balanced view is not accepted by the most vocal and political form of Christianity the United States. Protestant Evangelical Neo-fundamentalists are the ones advocating Intelligent Design as a scientific, not religious, theory, mainly through a think tank called the Discovery Institute
By the Discovery Institutes own words (the Wedge Strategy), Intelligent Design theory is part of a larger goal of minimizing the influences of Naturalism and Moral Relativism in popular culture. This makes perfect sense, as Intelligent Design, Naturalism (Reductionism, Materialism, etc. ) and Moral Relativism are all PHILOSOPHY, not science. Modern Synthesis = Science; Intelligent Design = Philosophy.
In the series linked to above, I contrast science and philosophy, Intelligent Design and the Modern Synthesis, skepticism and spirituality . This is intended primarily as a personal commentary on this intense debate, but it can also be used as a study guide for those looking for basic information on a complex subject.
I’ve also included an incomplete list of references below, as I am too lazy to rigorously cite them:
- How the Banana was designed, with Kirk Cameron
- The Discovery Institute
- The Discovery Institute’s Wedge Strategy
- My del.icio.us evolution links
- My WordPress “Creationism” tag
- My Amazon List: “A Bible Study for Critical Thinkers”
- Answers In Genesis.com
- Reasons To Believe.org
- Ben Stein’s “Expelled”
- Origins of Order by Stuart Kauffman (Warning: serious science)
- Endless Forms Most Beautiful, by Sean Carroll.
- The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins
- Marking the Watershed, By Francis Schaeffer
- Darwin’s Black Box
- Hidden Order, by John Holland
- Emergence, by Steven Johnson
- Chaos, By James Gleick